Associate Director of Donor Engagement
The Jackson Laboratory | Farmington, CT
Associate Director of Donor Engagement
The Associate Director of Donor Engagement is responsible for designing, implementing and coordinating a comprehensive donor relations and stewardship program that appropriately and consistently promotes interaction with and recognition of donors at all levels.
In addition, the position must create mutually-rewarding relations between JAX and its donors; partner with Development Directors to determine the best strategies for effective stewardship of donors; and advise on the facilitation of recognition events and coordinate various activities for donor societies.
Stewardship and Donor Engagement:
- Develop and implement a suite of timely and accurate materials for reporting to principal gift, major gift and leadership donors on the impact of their giving. Materials include, but are not limited to, personalized acknowledgement letters, impact statements, endowment reports and programmatic reporting. Develop and help execute individual stewardship strategies for top prospects and donors, in conjunction with Development Directors, prospect management staff and development leaders.
- Manage, on an annual basis and in conjunction with the Finance Office, SMT members, and the Director of Advancement Services and Operations, the audit of gift funds to ensure that funds are distributed and used in accordance with donor intent. Monitor, on a quarterly basis, the spending of current-use gift funds and endowment gift funds. Forge relationships with faculty and staff managing gift funds to set expectations for donor stewardship and engagement.
- Create and execute strategies for delivering high-touch, broad-based stewardship and engagement communications to annual, leadership annual, and major gift donors, as well as alumni, in coordination with the Strategic Communications office. Collaborate closely with other departments to ensure that engagement outreach and communications are seamless and consistent with the institutional branding and messaging.
- Develop strategy and oversee planning, implementation and evaluation of donor recognition programs that includes physical plaques, publications, electronic, events and other vehicles. Work with Associate Director of Special Events to implement donor recognition, space/building dedications, and gift recognition events.
- Manage the inventory of donor recognition plaques, photographs and signage and update on an as-needed basis.
- Work with the Assistant Director of Gift Processing and Reporting to develop and maintain tracking systems for accurate and timely reporting of engagement efforts. Ensure that all tracking is incorporated into the moves management system.
- Identify best practices at other organizations for stewardship planning and operation.
- Attend stewardship and cultivation events as needed.
- Develop and implement strategies to establish ties with lost alumni. Serves as the primary contact at JAX for alumni seeking to engage and reengage with the Laboratory.
- Whenever possible, build relationships between current students and alumni. Repurpose existing content and communications and deliver to alumni in a targeted way.
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- Minimum of five years’ experience in donor relations and fundraising.
- Mastery of stewardship program principles and objectives and the impact such programs have on fundraising.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with internal and external constituencies including major donors, volunteers, faculty and others.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work in a team with diverse individuals.
- Flexible and self-directed with exceptional organization and time management and prioritization skills and the ability to create efficient systems in a fast-paced environment.
- Strong computer skills including advanced proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Familiarity with Raiser’s Edge and/or fundraising database(s) and project management software preferred.
- Ability to maintain a positive, customer service oriented outlook.
- Ability to travel and work evenings and weekends as needed.
The Jackson Laboratory (www.jax.org) is a nonprofit biomedical research institute with over 1,800 employees across three campuses nationwide. Our mission is to discover precise genomic solutions for human disease, and to empower the global biomedical community in the shared quest to improve human health. JAX's research institute in Connecticut, The Jackson Laboratory for Genomic Medicine (JAX-GM), is transforming medicine by improving patient care, lowering costs, and increasing life span and health span. JAX-GM’s research focuses on the complex genetic causes of disease, and on the development of genomic solutions tailored to each person's unique genetic makeup.
JAX-GM sits on a 17-acre site on the campus of the University of Connecticut Health Center. The 183,500-square-foot facility opened in the fall of 2014. Now, it houses over 300 biomedical researchers, technicians and support staff in state-of-the-art computing facilities and laboratories. Our employees work in a collaborative, value-driven, and team-based environment where the focus is on advancing science and improving patients’ lives.
JAX-GM resides in the scenic town of Farmington, in the state’s capitol region. The Hartford region, which offers some of the best public schools in the country, is made up of both bigger cities and smaller, charming historic New England towns. JAX-GM is also geographically located within 2 hours of Boston and New York and is close to multiple transportation systems including bus lines, highways, railroads and international airports.
INTEGRITY - Courage and commitment to do what is right
PEOPLE - Inspiring our people to enhance the health of all
ONE TEAM - Unified by our promise to transform medicine and science
EXCELLENCE - Achieving world-class results
INNOVATION - Leading with discovery and creative solutions
STEWARDSHIP - Caring for and enhancing the resources entrusted to us
What do we have to offer?
JAX offers a dynamic and supportive work environment, competitive salaries and a comprehensive benefits package including a medical plan, outstanding retirement plan, generous paid time off and tuition reimbursement. JAX offers an MBA program, a fitness center with an award winning wellness program, and a fully operational primary care facility available to employees and their families.
Most importantly, every position contributes to JAX’s mission of discovering precise genomic solutions for human disease and empowering the global biomedical community in our shared quest to improve human health.
The Jackson Laboratory provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment in all job classifications without regard to race, color, religion, age, mental disability, physical disability, medical condition, gender, sexual orientation, genetic information, ancestry, marital status, national origin, veteran status, and other classifications protected by applicable state and local non-discrimination laws.
Learn more about at opportunities at JAX at http://www.jax.org/careers