The individual in this role may be located at The Jackson Laboratory’s Bar Harbor ME Campus, Farmington CT Campus, or Sacramento CA Campus.
This position is the primary point of contact for current JAX Services customers and is accountable for ensuring customers have an excellent experience. Core responsibilities include communicating regularly with customers on project goals and deliverables, milestones achieved and progress towards project completion. Project Managers will work closely with Project Scientists, Operations, the Opportunity Development team and management to ensure project deliverables are met on schedule and to the customer’s satisfaction. Successful candidates for this role will have a broad scientific background, a customer-centric focus, sharp attention to detail, and excellent communication and time management skills. They will also demonstrate a solution-driven problem solving approach to meeting departmental and customer specific needs.
Key areas of responsibility:
Customer Experience Management
- Takes primary responsibility for quality service delivery and customer satisfaction to ensure a superior customer experience.
- Cultivates close relationships with customers.
- Interprets the customers’ needs and goals and ensures proper selection of service type.
- Creates and distributes formal, accurate, and tailored project summaries, according to customer-specific time tables and logs all communications in the enterprise level CRM for customer and account visibility.
- Anticipates possible problems or inconsistencies and drives mid-course changes and corrections in order to avoid customer dissatisfaction or cost overruns.
- Negotiates win-win solutions to problems.
- In conjunction with Project Scientists, Technical Information Services, Study Directors and other subject matter experts, presents and explains to customers various options (work flows) for performing project work.
- Supports quotation tracking processes and report generation.
- Initiates new or renewed JAX Services projects.
Project Management, Order Entry and Record-Keeping
- Working with Project Scientists, coordinates and tracks progress on projects, updating all required databases as needed and anticipates possible problems or inconsistencies and drives mid-course changes and corrections in order to avoid customer dissatisfaction or cost overruns.
- Negotiates win-win solutions to problems.
- Establishes and maintains accurate, complete and understandable summaries of each project.
The Associate Project Manager, Project Manager, and Senior Project Manager levels differ by their level of independence, depth of knowledge of the service offerings and their operations, and the amount and strategic level of customer interface.
The Project Manager (PM) position requires technical knowledge of and expertise in products and services offered as well as inter-departmental functions and processes allowing the PM to effectively communicate project status updates, answer questions, troubleshoot challenges and understand scientific goals and deliverables for complex projects. The PM oversees the project and recognizes when the project may be going off track in the operation from the promised deliverable. The incumbent is responsible for establishing/ monitoring performance measures and implementing actions. This will help to meet overall revenue/gross margin objectives to achieve customer satisfaction. Works as part of a cross-functional team to include ODMs, Marketing to close deals and maximize the customer experience.
The Sr. Project Manager level will be particularly adept at overseeing project deliverables, monitoring performance measures and developing creative solutions to problems. They will have extensive knowledge of and expertise in project coordination, negotiation, and related inter-departmental functions. The Senior PM has independence, experience and proficiency managing the largest, most complex and strategic accounts and institutional contracts. They train other Project Managers, takes the lead role in specific projects, such as developing processes from start to finish for new service offerings, or representing the PM team in cross-departmental projects. They may also include working on system development/implementation and training as new advanced systems are required or designed. They determine overall strategy for feasibility assessment, development, and implementation of new service offerings.
- Associate Project Manager: BS degree in Life Science and 2 years’ experience managing projects in customer facing role or 10+ years working in a Research or Biotech environment in a project role.
- Project Manager/Senior Project Manager: Master’s Degree in biological sciences with at least 4 year's experience. Ph.D. in biological sciences is preferred. In-depth understanding of research methods, current topics in biomedical research, and mouse genetics.