Director, Direct Response Fundraising & Social Engagement
The Jackson Laboratory | Farmington, CT
Director, Direct Response Fundraising & Social Engagement
The Director of Direct Response Fundraising & Social Engagement will lead the development and execution of a new JAX direct response fundraising program to acquire, retain, upgrade and steward donors and ensure the increased funding for research and programming.
Reporting to the Senior Director of Development and in close coordination with the Director of Advancement Services and other senior members of the Advancement management team, this position requires a strong command of direct response fundraising and marketing principles, social media messaging and engagement, strong data segmentation and analytical skills, creativity, and outstanding communication skills with both internal and external constituents.
- Lead the development and execution of a new JAX direct response fundraising program to acquire, retain, upgrade and steward donors and ensure the increase of funding for research and programming.
- Direct mail services to reach existing donors and high propensity prospects using best practice direct mail strategies, tactics, and tools.
- Digital fundraising campaigns using social acquisition to create vital experiences that reach new donor prospects.
- Coordinated search engine marketing with JAX Marketing.
- Social media content and marketing working with JAX strategic communications and marketing to monetize our efforts that identify and embolden advocates to work on JAX’s behalf.
- Launch catalytic events that leverage viral environments to create acquisition campaigns that rapidly add donor prospects.
- Develop metrics to measure performance and results of various direct response initiatives; specifically, drive reporting needs and analyze results of cultivation and acquisition performance metrics; make necessary changes to ensure continued growth across the direct response fundraising program.
- Assist in list segmentation recommendations and the development of new models.
- Collaborate closely with colleagues in JAX Advancement to integrate director response fundraising campaigns across multiple communications channels with the Senior Director of Development, Senior Communications Campaign Manager, Director of Digital Communications, Director of Development Services and Operations, Associate Director of Development Communications, and the JAX Creative team.
- Identify and assess emerging direct marketing and media trends and opportunities.
- Regularly monitor and analyze performance metrics on direct mail programs, monitoring benchmarks within non-profit industry.
- Bachelor’s degree required; marketing preferred.
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in nonprofit donor or consumer direct mail acquisition marketing for strategic, analytical, operational and creative teams, including marketing plan and budget development, program analysis and creative direction.
- Experience working with and managing various vendors, including print, letter shop, merge/purge, creative and list brokers.
- Proven excellent project management skills.
- Previous experience working with strategic, analytical, operational and creative teams.
- Experience managing various vendor partners.
- Demonstrated ability to handle numerous projects simultaneously.
- Proven written and verbal communication skills.
- Proven ability to work well under pressure and meet deadlines.
- Demonstrated exceptional attention to detail.
- Strong organizational, interpersonal and motivational skills.
- Commitment to improving human health through biomedical research.
- Non-profit experience preferable, but not required.
The Jackson Laboratory (www.jax.org) is a nonprofit biomedical research institute with over 1,800 employees across three campuses nationwide. Our mission is to discover precise genomic solutions for human disease, and to empower the global biomedical community in the shared quest to improve human health. JAX's research institute in Connecticut, The Jackson Laboratory for Genomic Medicine (JAX-GM), is transforming medicine by improving patient care, lowering costs, and increasing life span and health span. JAX-GM’s research focuses on the complex genetic causes of disease, and on the development of genomic solutions tailored to each person's unique genetic makeup.
JAX-GM sits on a 17-acre site on the campus of the University of Connecticut Health Center. The 183,500-square-foot facility opened in the fall of 2014. Now, it houses over 300 biomedical researchers, technicians and support staff in state-of-the-art computing facilities and laboratories. Our employees work in a collaborative, value-driven, and team-based environment where the focus is on advancing science and improving patients’ lives.
JAX-GM resides in the scenic town of Farmington, in the state’s capital region. The Hartford region, which offers some of the best public schools in the country, is made up of both bigger cities and smaller, charming historic New England towns. JAX-GM is also geographically located within 2 hours of Boston and New York and is close to multiple transportation systems including bus lines, highways, railroads and international airports.
INTEGRITY - Courage and commitment to do what is right
PEOPLE - Inspiring our people to enhance the health of all
ONE TEAM - Unified by our promise to transform medicine and science
EXCELLENCE - Achieving world-class results
INNOVATION - Leading with discovery and creative solutions
STEWARDSHIP - Caring for and enhancing the resources entrusted to us
What do we have to offer?
JAX offers a dynamic and supportive work environment, competitive salaries and a comprehensive benefits package including a medical plan, outstanding retirement plan, generous paid time off and tuition reimbursement. JAX offers an MBA program, a fitness center with an award-winning wellness program, and a fully operational primary care facility available to employees and their families.
Most importantly, every position contributes to JAX’s mission of discovering precise genomic solutions for human disease and empowering the global biomedical community in our shared quest to improve human health.
The Jackson Laboratory provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment in all job classifications without regard to race, color, religion, age, mental disability, physical disability, medical condition, gender, sexual orientation, genetic information, ancestry, marital status, national origin, veteran status, and other classifications protected by applicable state and local non-discrimination laws.
Learn more about at opportunities at JAX at http://www.jax.org/careers