Lead, Clinical Assay Development (CLIA)
The Jackson Laboratory | Farmington, CT
Lead, Clinical Assay Development (CLIA)
Reporting to the Clinical Laboratory Director, this position oversees the assay development efforts in the Clinical Genomics Laboratory (CGL) at JAX Genomic Medicine. A primary responsibility is to ensure that the technical quality and throughput of the product are consistent and of a high standard, meeting all regulatory (CLIA/CAP) requirements of a clinical test. The successful candidate must be prepared to be a hands-on experimentalist while guiding a team in wet-lab driven research to create innovative solutions to development hurdles. The incumbent is responsible for development of new methods and assays, including high-throughput sequencing (HTS) and other related genomic technologies. This position requires a high degree of technical abilities in DNA and RNA analysis as would be performed in a molecular diagnostics and/or production laboratory as well as leadership skills to guide personnel in their operational roles.
- Conceive design and carry-out experiments at the bench using advanced and expert scientific and product knowledge for fast development of prototype tests for clinical testing.
- Establish sample preparation, quality and input requirements and assay workflows
- Design and implement assay studies to test and refine both newly developed and/or existing genomics analysis tools and pipelines.
- Work with Financial analyst to establish costing and pricing for newly developed assays.
- Collaborate with analysts and programmers to develop a bioinformatics analysis pipeline and integrate into existing LIMS workflows.
- Work interactively with collaborators and PIs internal and external to JAX for full system development of assays within the clinical genomics laboratory.
- In collaboration with the clinical laboratory Director and other leads of the CLIA team, successfully manage projects estimates, timelines and launches.
- Present pertinent information to varied internal and external audiences through effective customer interactions.
- Master’s degree required, PhD preferred, in genetics, genomics, translational research, molecular biology or similar biological discipline is required with a minimum of 2 years in clinical experience in assay development
- ASCP Certification in Molecular Biology preferred
- Demonstrated experience in operating HTS and other molecular technologies.
- Demonstrated experience in implementing new methods in a CLIA-certified laboratory.
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills; strong organizational and analytical skills; and the ability to work in a highly cooperative team environment as well as independently.
- Critical thinking and ability to rapidly troubleshoot to overcome technical challenges.
The Jackson Laboratory (www.jax.org) is a nonprofit biomedical research institute with over 1,800 employees across three campuses nationwide. Our mission is to discover precise genomic solutions for human disease, and to empower the global biomedical community in the shared quest to improve human health. JAX's research institute in Connecticut, The Jackson Laboratory for Genomic Medicine (JAX-GM), is transforming medicine by improving patient care, lowering costs, and increasing life span and health span. JAX-GM’s research focuses on the complex genetic causes of disease, and on the development of genomic solutions tailored to each person's unique genetic makeup.
JAX-GM sits on a 17-acre site on the campus of the University of Connecticut Health Center. The 183,500-square-foot facility opened in the fall of 2014. Now, it houses over 300 biomedical researchers, technicians and support staff in state-of-the-art computing facilities and laboratories. Our employees work in a collaborative, value-driven, and team-based environment where the focus is on advancing science and improving patients’ lives.
JAX-GM resides in the scenic town of Farmington, in the state’s capitol region. The Hartford region, which offers some of the best public schools in the country, is made up of both bigger cities and smaller, charming historic New England towns. JAX-GM is also geographically located within 2 hours of Boston and New York and is close to multiple transportation systems including bus lines, highways, railroads and international airports.
INTEGRITY - Courage and commitment to do what is right
PEOPLE - Inspiring our people to enhance the health of all
ONE TEAM - Unified by our promise to transform medicine and science
EXCELLENCE - Achieving world-class results
INNOVATION - Leading with discovery and creative solutions
STEWARDSHIP - Caring for and enhancing the resources entrusted to us
What do we have to offer?
JAX offers a dynamic and supportive work environment, competitive salaries and a comprehensive benefits package including a medical plan, outstanding retirement plan, generous paid time off and tuition reimbursement. JAX offers an MBA program, a fitness center with an award winning wellness program, and a fully operational primary care facility available to employees and their families.
Most importantly, every position contributes to JAX’s mission of discovering precise genomic solutions for human disease and empowering the global biomedical community in our shared quest to improve human health.
The Jackson Laboratory provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment in all job classifications without regard to race, color, religion, age, mental disability, physical disability, medical condition, gender, sexual orientation, genetic information, ancestry, marital status, national origin, veteran status, and other classifications protected by applicable state and local non-discrimination laws.
Learn more about at opportunities at JAX at http://www.jax.org/careers