Manager, Customer Service
About The Jackson Laboratory for Genomic Medicine: Comprising 183,000 square feet of highly advanced, state-of-the-art laboratories and supporting facilities, JAX-GM is conveniently located midway between NYC and Boston in the heart of Connecticut's growing bioscience industry. Our mission at JAX-GM is to discover the complex causes of disease, develop diagnostics and therapeutics, and ultimately empower the global medical community.
JAX-GM is part of an exciting, internationally-recognized research and educational institution with unparalleled genomic resources and research support services. Seeking to advance personalized medicine, we draw on the institution's distinguished history and on the innovative expertise of our growing faculty, who are recruited from among the world’s top scientific labs and institutions.
About the position: The Manager, Customer Service is responsible for overseeing and ensuring a world class customer experience in terms of providing and supporting the JAX Mice and Services offerings delivered through the JMCRS customer service group. This position is able to respond to challenging situations involving customer issues, this includes coming up with solutions and follow up with the customer. A proactive leader who continuously anticipates problems and develops and presents solutions to Senior Management and/or a customer. Proven leader that can juggle multiple complex issues independently, oversight of multiple complex areas which requires a broad understanding of overall customer service program. Leads process improvements, through trending our deviation database.
Responsible for coaching, training, and supervising customer service staff supporting exceptional customer service and the organization’s revenue goals. Activities can also include high volume order processing with a high level of accuracy, expediting order fulfillment, preparing specialized reports for customers, monitoring key satisfaction metrics through reports, auditing of staff interactions with customers, timely customer problem and complaint resolution, etc.
This position has responsibility to assimilate new product or service offerings into the customer service team, where appropriate. Responsible for developing and implementing continuous improvements to practices, procedures, and tools used to support exceptional customer experience. Key responsibility is the aspect of motivating direct reports to achieve higher levels of performance.
This position will also be responsible for managing the customer service group located at JAX's Sacramento campus. Accordingly, monthly or bimonthly travel to California will be required.
- Assessing customer satisfaction and implementing actions or programs to continually enhance customer experience.
- Interpret and enforce departmental-specific and Jackson Laboratory practices and policies
- Lead or participate with decision-making authority for Customer Service on cross-functional project teams to improve the customer experience of individual key accounts as well as JMS customers in general while also enhancing the effectiveness and efficiency of current and future customer support processes.
- Identify training needs, develop training tools, coordinate programs and devise goals/ metrics to assess effectiveness.
- Accountable for having a key role in development of broad operational changes that include being part of cross functional teams evaluating deviations and implementing improvements.
- Recommend and implement, and oversee execution of approved staff incentive programs.
- Develop and provide progress reports to inform JMS management team of departmental performance status and summaries of work activities.
- Continually optimize workflow, work volume, work type, and staff capabilities and capacity to deliver exceptional customer service. Actively pursue, recommend and implement process improvement changes with a focus on service excellence. Provide labor estimates as needed and identify and recommend budget needs or reductions.
- Actively promote positive and professional team building within the group of direct reports and within the department.
- Foster a work culture of highly motivated and positive staff feeling empowered to provide an exceptional customer experience.
- Professionally develop directly reporting staff by providing tools, training, and coaching necessary to enable their success and growth.
- Monitor and address individual performance of direct reports as measured by response times (to inquiries and orders received by phone, fax, and email); behavior initiative; attendance; credits; contributions to achieving revenue goals; and other relevant factors to ensure that each individual contributes fully to the team effort. This work involves: auditing customer communications (verbal and written); maintaining detailed records of performance and sharing progress with individual direct reports routinely; developing appropriate recognition of staff achievements; implementing corrective, early intervention measures for poor performance or underperformance; and disciplining staff as needed on a timely basis.
- Provide recommendations on most effective performance indicators and developing means to monitor such indicators and integrate with career development for staff.
- Resolve personnel problems in a professional, consistent and timely manner which minimizes impact on customer experience and fosters strong team morale.
- Evaluate employee performance, and initiate promotions, transfers, and disciplinary action.
- Based on staff development needs oversee the development and delivery of customer service training programs. Assess effectiveness.
- Proven development of staff, and/or metric to show they have significantly impacted organizational turnover positively.
- Work with senior management to develop and implement incentive programs which effectively reward strong performance aligned with business needs.
- Interview, hire, oversee training and successfully launch new customer service employees. Continually coach for success.
- Identify the needs of CSR staff for technical training on JMS product and service offerings and collaborate with JMS Technical Information Services to provide technical training seminars and programs. Assess effectiveness.
Customer Service and Financial Accountability:
- Suggest, design and implement creative improvements to department practices, procedures, and tools to enable CSR and Order Support staff to provide world class customer experience and to identify and leverage revenue opportunities.
- Successfully investigate root causes and resolve highly complex customer problems/ complaints in ways which optimize customer satisfaction, foster customer loyalty, and minimize credit impact on revenue. Communicate on a timely basis resolutions to involved parties.
- Support achieving financial goals through consistent, proactive delivery of world class customer service and responsible, thoughtful expense management and effectively leading staff to reducing costs of business (e.g. minimizing credits due to CS errors; working cross-functionally with other departments to minimize errors with high customer impact; proactively help customers avoid order placement errors; optimize use of inventory to minimize discard, etc.)
- Conducting routine self-audits of work to help assure customer satisfaction and minimize credit risks;
- Assimilating features and benefits associated with new product or service applications and/or offerings;
- Adopting new processes, best practices, and use of new software, technologies, and resources.
Order and Account Management:
- Serve as a key resource to staff by providing strong product and order processing system knowledge, troubleshooting problems, and removing barriers for fostering and delivering exceptional customer experience and supporting revenue goals.
- Oversee service provided to dedicated accounts, key accounts, and sensitive customers to assure that their individual needs are fulfilled with creative problem-solving and proactive service.
- Oversee new customer account review, approval and set up and accurate account data entry.
- Ensure that discounting programs are executed successfully at the order level
- Anticipate and avoid logistics, personnel and procedural problems. If problems do occur, work with all levels of internal and external personnel to develop corrective action plans that optimize customer experience, minimize cost and impact to both TJL and customers, and reduce likelihood of future occurrence.
- Manage projects of varying subject matter, high complexity, and with significant customer impact (e.g., developing inter-departmental processes to ensure that individual customers reliably receive mice of desired health status)
- The incumbent is accountable to develop quality process and implementation = > 100k annually
- Leads cross functional teams/projects to evaluate/study potential improvements
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent experience. Directly applicable experience in the management field may be substituted for education; 2 years for each year of educational requirement will be considered equivalent.
- 3 or more years of experience managing a call center OR 8 years of experience with increasing level of responsibility managing a large call center
- Two + years of experience overseeing high quality internal/external customer support in a business environment
- Demonstrated leadership and team-building skills
- Three + years of experience in a role where strong analytical, project management, and time management skills were required
- Two + years’ experience in developing training materials and business process improvements
- Strong proficiency in MS Office applications: MS Project, Excel, Word, PowerPoint and Outlook; outstanding organizational skills
APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS: Please include a cover letter along with your resume/CV. Applications without cover letters will not be considered.
MORE ABOUT JAX
JAX began in 1929 with a small group of scientists dedicated to the emerging field of genetics. We now have over 1,700 scientists, technicians, and support staff, including over 50 Principle Investigators in five primary disease areas: cancer, reproductive biology, immunology, metabolic processes and neuroscience. Our fundamental contributions to biomedical research include cancer genetics and establishing the mouse as the premier research animal model.
- Uncover more of our historic milestones, including the 26 Nobel prizes associated with our research, resources, and education
- Read our latest news & insights for a glimpse at how we’re impacting the future of biomedicine
- Follow the progress we’re making on our quest to improve human health via our recent research highlights
The Jackson Laboratory provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment in all job classifications without regard to race, color, religion, age, mental disability, physical disability, medical condition, gender, sexual orientation, genetic information, ancestry, marital status, national origin, veteran status, and other classifications protected by applicable state and local non-discrimination laws.