Postdoctoral Associate - Li Lab
The Jackson Laboratory | Farmington, CT
Postdoctoral Associate – Computational Cancer Biology
Dr. Sheng Li’s lab at JAX-GM is seeking a computational biology postdoctoral associate who is interested in studying cancer epigenomics using large-scale genomics datasets. The Li Lab focuses on combining computational approaches and high throughput datasets to uncover novel mechanisms that contribute to drug resistance and cancer evolution. For additional information, visit the Li Lab online.
We are looking for applicants who are excited to work in the collegial, collaborative, interdisciplinary, and diverse research environment offered by The Jackson Laboratory.
- Develop computational, bioinformatics, and statistical approaches to address the challenges in cancer genome, epigenome, chromatin, and transcriptome data integration
- Analyze bulk and single-cell sequencing data sets from clinical studies to deconvolute cell populations and associated cellular phenotypes
- Work to identify molecular patterns and predictive markers for diagnosis and treatment
- PhD in Computational Biology, Biostatistics, Bioinformatics, or a related field with knowledge of statistics and an interest in working in an interdisciplinary computational biology and cancer research environment.
- Strong computational background, including proficiency in at least one programming language (Perl, Python, C++, etc.) and one data analysis software program (R, MATLAB, etc.). Linux experience is required.
- Research experience in next generation sequencing data analysis, especially in epigenomics, and utilization of publicly available bioinformatics resources.
- Excellent communication skills and fully fluent in both spoken and written English.
- A passion for solving cutting edge research problems of computational biology.
The following optional qualifications are considered advantageous:
- Knowledge of (and/or work experience with) machine learning/deep learning methods.
- Experience with large-scale data analysis using software pipelines in a HPC environment.
- Experience in software development.
The Jackson Laboratory (www.jax.org) is a nonprofit biomedical research institute with over 1,800 employees across three campuses nationwide. Our mission is to discover precise genomic solutions for human disease, and to empower the global biomedical community in the shared quest to improve human health. JAX's research institute in Connecticut, The Jackson Laboratory for Genomic Medicine (JAX-GM), is transforming medicine by improving patient care, lowering costs, and increasing life span and health span. JAX-GM’s research focuses on the complex genetic causes of disease, and on the development of genomic solutions tailored to each person's unique genetic makeup.
JAX-GM sits on a 17-acre site on the campus of the University of Connecticut Health Center. The 183,500-square-foot facility opened in the fall of 2014. Now, it houses over 300 biomedical researchers, technicians and support staff in state-of-the-art computing facilities and laboratories. Our employees work in a collaborative, value-driven, and team-based environment where the focus is on advancing science and improving patients’ lives.
JAX-GM resides in the scenic town of Farmington, in the state’s capitol region. The Hartford region, which offers some of the best public schools in the country, is made up of both bigger cities and smaller, charming historic New England towns. JAX-GM is also geographically located within 2 hours of Boston and New York and is close to multiple transportation systems including bus lines, highways, railroads and international airports.
INTEGRITY - Courage and commitment to do what is right
PEOPLE - Inspiring our people to enhance the health of all
ONE TEAM - Unified by our promise to transform medicine and science
EXCELLENCE - Achieving world-class results
INNOVATION - Leading with discovery and creative solutions
STEWARDSHIP - Caring for and enhancing the resources entrusted to us
What do we have to offer?
JAX offers a dynamic and supportive work environment, competitive salaries and a comprehensive benefits package including a medical plan, outstanding retirement plan, generous paid time off and tuition reimbursement. JAX offers an MBA program, a fitness center with an award winning wellness program, and a fully operational primary care facility available to employees and their families.
Most importantly, every position contributes to JAX’s mission of discovering precise genomic solutions for human disease and empowering the global biomedical community in our shared quest to improve human health.
The Jackson Laboratory provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment in all job classifications without regard to race, color, religion, age, mental disability, physical disability, medical condition, gender, sexual orientation, genetic information, ancestry, marital status, national origin, veteran status, and other classifications protected by applicable state and local non-discrimination laws.
Learn more about at opportunities at JAX at http://www.jax.org/careers