Senior Financial Analyst
The Jackson Laboratory | Farmington, CT
Senior Financial Analyst
About The Jackson Laboratory for Genomic Medicine: Comprising 183,000 square feet of highly advanced, state-of-the-art laboratories and supporting facilities, JAX-GM is conveniently located midway between NYC and Boston in the heart of Connecticut's growing bioscience industry. Our mission at JAX-GM is to discover the complex causes of disease, develop diagnostics and therapeutics, and ultimately empower the global medical community.
JAX-GM is part of an exciting, internationally-recognized research and educational institution with unparalleled genomic resources and research support services. Seeking to advance personalized medicine, we draw on the institution's distinguished history and on the innovative expertise of our growing faculty, who are recruited from among the world’s top scientific labs and institutions.
About the position: Working under general supervision, this position is responsible for independently performing a full range of financial analyst assignments. This is an advanced position with college-level background and eight or more years of successful experience in a position with financial analysis as the principal responsibility. The incumbent may oversee the work assignments of other professionals or have assignments that are recognized by senior financial managers as having significantly greater complexity and accountability.
This position interacts on a frequent and regular basis with managers or designated budget personnel for areas in which position is assigned. This position interacts on a frequent and regular basis with senior managers throughout the organization as well as with subordinates, and will have supervisory responsibilities over general ledger staff. This position may also have contact with outside vendors, regulatory agencies and managers at other companies.
- Designs, maintains, and disseminates information from complex reporting tools. Manages all key financial statement and metric reporting for multiple departments. Key decision maker on reporting structures and data design.
- Performs financial analysis of current operations through review of operational reports, which may be developed by the incumbent in this position. The breadth of operation this position supports will span multiple sites.
- Directs development and compilation of forecasts regarding financial performance of business unit. This may include development of appropriate allocation methods to be used to analyze a product line. Initiates sharing of forecasts and financial reports with other managers, senior managers, and directors as appropriate; participates in discussion of their importance and implications.
- Oversees and directs development of annual departmental budgets. This includes pointing out inefficiencies that the manager may not be addressing, as well cost drivers and pricing deficiencies. Monitors operations to ensure compliance with budgets. Analyzes the financial impact of operational changes on operating budgets and reports to other senior managers.
- Evaluates capital expenditure requests and provides recommendations regarding financial feasibility including payback, ROI, and financial modeling of investment. Collaborates with other managers and departments to monitor current capital projects. Creates financial models in order to evaluate capacity and resource expansion plans; integrates models with current operations and strategic plans.
- Participates in ongoing operational management of business unit in collaboration with other senior managers in order to attain short, mid and long-range goals and objectives. Play an active role in constructive pushback on operational managers for improved margin development.
- Oversees, implements and manages fiscal and administrative controls, procedures and policies for remote operational units.
- Responsible for managing ad hoc projects, reports and initiatives.
- May supervise the work of other financial professionals and clerks.
- Performs other duties as required.
- Knowledge of modern accounting theory, methods and practices as would normally be acquired through attainment of a Bachelor’s degree in finance, accounting or a related subject from an accredited college or university and eight (8) or more years of successful experience in a position having financial analysis as the principal responsibility
- Knowledge of principles and practices of budgeting with five (5) or more years of successful experience providing a systematic review, analysis, interpretation, and/or evaluation of budgets as the principal responsibility.
- Knowledge of the supervisory process and techniques of leadership as would normally be acquired through five (5) years of progressively increased responsibility culminating in a management position.
- Three to five years of financial analysis, costing and financial tool development required.
- Proven ability to lead others effectively as well influence others especially in an indirect reporting structure.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Extensive computer skills, including expert-level financial tool development skills.
- Ability to build strong, positive working relationships across a number of departments.
- Highly skilled and knowledgeable in word processing software, database and spreadsheet software to aid in design and execute changes in financial and ERP systems.
MORE ABOUT JAX
JAX began in 1929 with a small group of scientists dedicated to the emerging field of genetics. We now have over 1,700 scientists, technicians, and support staff, including over 50 Principle Investigators in five primary disease areas: cancer, reproductive biology, immunology, metabolic processes and neuroscience. Our fundamental contributions to biomedical research include cancer genetics and establishing the mouse as the premier research animal model.
- Uncover more of our historic milestones, including the 26 Nobel prizes associated with our research, resources, and education
- Read our latest news & insights for a glimpse at how we’re impacting the future of biomedicine
- Follow the progress we’re making on our quest to improve human health via our recent research highlights
EEO: All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.