Howard P. Fairfield, LLC | Columbia, CT
The Service Technician position at HP Fairfield provides world class customer service when diagnosing, repairing, fabricating and installing municipal and contractor equipment such as snow and ice removal equipment, roadside mowing equipment, street sweepers, basin cleaners and airport maintenance equipment.
The duties of this position will include but are not limited to:
- Performs customer road service activities to include servicing, maintaining, troubleshooting and repairing equipment at the customer’s location.
- Performs service repair work as scheduled for the service shop.
- Install, diagnose, and repair Fisher/ Boss plows, spreads and pushers.
- Reads job order, observes, and listens to truck in operation to determine malfunction and to plan work procedures.
- Visually inspects hydraulic lines and components to detect leaks, damage, and wear and reads pressure gauges to detect abnormal oil pressure and to detect overheated oil. Examines protective guards, loose bolts, and specified safety devices on truck.
- Makes any necessary adjustments, lubricates parts, fabricates special lifting and/or towing attachments, repair hydraulic systems or other devices, replaces worn or damaged hydraulic components such as oil lines, fittings, cylinders, valves, gaskets and seals and repairs or installs new parts as necessary.
- Observes operation machinery and equipment to verify repairs.
- Installs electrical equipment on plow trucks and dump trucks including running wires, mounting brackets, switches, and control boxes following electrical codes, manuals, schematic diagrams, blueprints and other specifications, using hand tools, power tools, air tools, and other tools as necessary. Tests all installed equipment and wiring using appropriate electrical and/or electronic test equipment to determine proper functioning and installation of electrical equipment. Makes adjustments as necessary.
- Bolts, clamps and tack-welds parts to secure in position for welding. Sets up equipment and welds parts, using appropriate welding equipment.
- Inspect, repair, or replace any and all hydraulic components as per manufacturer and/or company requirements. Manufacture new lines, trouble shoot problems, observe and report malfunctioning equipment.
- Assembles parts by drilling, bolting, and riveting truck frame to mount rear cab assembly and sub frames as necessary.
- Participate in installation activities as necessary.
- Ensures all paperwork is completed accurately and in compliance with company policies and procedures including sourcing equipment manuals.
- Perform any miscellaneous, related or associated duties as assigned by supervisor
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities (KSA’s):
- Skillful using a smart phone and laptop.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office such as Word, Excel, Outlook, and other web platforms.
- Must be knowledgeable and capable of performing repairs in an efficient, effective, and timely manner.
- Ability to relate to the customer in a positive, proactive manner.
- Skilled in electrical, mechanics, welding and mobile hydraulics.
- Ability to adhere to and achieve exact levels of performance, using tools and machines to attain precise dimensions.
- Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of variables in situations where only limited standardization exists.
- Ability to do overnight stays out of state to complete jobs, equipment training, and certification as necessary while remaining accurate and utilizing cost saving opportunities.
- Self-motivated, able to work independently without constant direction or supervision.
- Commitment to teamwork and Safety
Education and Experience:
High school diploma plus 2 year technical degree in welding, mechanics and/or hydraulics with 3 years related experience; or equivalent combination of education and experience. CDL class B or ability to obtain CDL preferred but not required.
- General Learning Ability: Possess a high degree ability to “catch on” or understand instruction and underlying principles and to reason and make judgments.
- Verbal Aptitude: Possess an above average ability to understand the meaning of words and to use them effectively.
- Numerical Aptitude: Possess an average degree ability to perform arithmetic operations quickly and accurately.
- Strength Rating: Medium Work - Exerting 20-75 lbs. of force occasionally, and/or 10-25 lbs. of force frequently, and/or greater than negligible up to 10 lbs. of force constantly to move objects.
- Frequently: Climbing, reaching, balancing, stooping, kneeling, crouching, fingering, talking, hearing.
- Frequent exposure to outside weather conditions, atmospheric conditions, proximity to moving mechanical parts, vibration, and oils and solvents.
- Noise intensity level - moderate.
Must provide own air and hand tools at a minimum up to ¾”, adjustable wrenches, gas welding and cutting apparatus, hammer, air drills, grinders. Steel toe boots and use of personal protective equipment is a requirement of this position.
The above information is intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees within this classification. It is not intended to be construed as a comprehensive list of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications of employees so classified.