Storage Systems Administrator
About JAX-GM: Comprising 183,000 square feet of highly advanced, state-of-the-art laboratories and supporting facilities, the brand new JAX-GM conveniently sits midway between NYC and Boston in the heart of Connecticut. JAX-GM is part of an exciting $1.1 billion venture between the state of Connecticut and The Jackson Laboratory, an internationally-recognized research and educational institution with unparalleled genomic resources and research support services.
About the position: Are you a motivated Systems Administrator who craves the excitement of a start-up company, coupled with the resources and support of an established and well-respected organization? At JAX-GM, our information technology is as exciting and progressive as our cutting-edge science. Join our team to help plan, design and launch efficient storage systems in support of scientific research functions and processes.
The successful Systems Administration (SA) candidate will be responsible for the effective provisioning, installation/configuration, operation, and maintenance of systems hardware and software related to storage infrastructure. Responsibilities will include:
- Participate in technical research and development to promote continuous IT innovation at JAX, including advising on hardware and software acquisition.
- Ensure that system hardware, operating systems, software systems, and related procedures adhere to JAX’s organizational values and IT goals.
- Maintain multi-petabyte research and enterprise storage systems.
- Support the operations of the following systems: SAN and NAS storage, ESX VMware, Microsoft Windows Server, Unix/Linux servers, Cloud Platform Services, and High Performance Computing (HPC).
- Provide key support for the Systems Administration group, including software applications, tools, and cloud products that fall into the SA domain.
- Install upgrades and patches for software and hardware/firmware, and configure these systems to conform to IT best practices and industry standards.
- Adhere to operations processes and provide documentation/project tracking and management reporting.
- Able to work both independently and as part of a team
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Sense of urgency and ability to solve problems in a timely manner
- Technical authority in area of specialty on assigned projects
- Develop and maintain effective working relationships with scientists at all levels
- Excellent communication (verbal/written) and presentation skills
- Available for on-call and/or non-business hours to support organizational needs
- Bachelor’s degree with at least 5 years’ experience in Storage Systems Administration; other means of acquiring this knowledge may be evaluated on a case-by-case basis
- Real-world experience (3-5 years) with storage solutions such as Isilon, NetApp, 3PAR, and other leading research and enterprise storage vendors and technologies
- Experience and familiarity with a dynamic research/academic environment
- Expertise with Unix/Linux systems, shell scripting, C/C++ programming, Python/Perl, and other relevant tools
- Familiar with Cloud computing and storage infrastructure (e.g. AWS, EC2, Google, Azure)
MORE ABOUT JAX
JAX began in 1929 with a small group of scientists dedicated to the emerging field of genetics. We now have over 1700 scientists, technicians, and support staff, including over 50 Principle Investigators in five primary disease areas: cancer, reproductive biology, immunology, metabolic processes and neuroscience. Our fundamental contributions to biomedical research include cancer genetics and establishing the mouse as the premier research animal model.
- Uncover more of our historic milestones, including the 26 Nobel prizes associated with our research, resources, and education
- Read our latest news & insights for a glimpse at how we’re impacting the future of biomedicine
- Follow the progress we’re making on our quest to improve human health via our recent research highlights
EEO: All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.