Welder/Heavy Equipment Installer
Howard P. Fairfield, LLC | Columbia, CT
HP Fairfield has an immeidate openign for a welder/heavy equipment installer at our Morrisville,VT facility. To apply, click "Apply Now"
The overall function of this position is to mount tilt fronts, dump bodies, hydraulic hoses and/or tanks according to specifications and blueprints, using appropriate tools as necessary with fairly close supervision.
The duties of this job will include but are not limited to the following:
Installation: Selects equipment and plans layout, assembly and welding. Lays out, positions, aligns and fits components together. Bolts, clamps, and tack-welds parts to secure in position for welding. Sets up equipment and welds parts, using appropriate welding equipment to mount tilt fronts, dump bodies, etc.
Can perform 1 out of the 3 primary functions:
- Welding: Lays out, fits, cuts and welds fabricated parts as necessary, using appropriate tools and welding equipment to assemble or install dump bodies, handle stands, valve stands, and any other parts and equipment according to blueprint for equipment.
- Electrical: Installs electrical equipment on plow trucks and dump trucks including running wires, mounting brackets, switches, and control boxes following electrical codes, manuals, schematic diagrams, blueprints and other specifications, using hand tools, power tools, air tools, etc. as necessary. Tests all installed equipment and wiring using appropriate electrical and/or electronic test equipment to determine proper functioning and installation of electrical equipment. Makes adjustments as necessary.
- Hydraulics: Selects equipment, plans layout, and assembles or installs hydraulics on equipment according to blueprints.
- Assists with installation of equipment in truck cabs as necessary.
- Performs other miscellaneous tasks as required by the Installation Team Leader.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities (KSA’s):
- Basic welding and fabricating skills.
- Skilled and experienced with torches, electric drills, reamers and band saw.
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, blueprints, assembly diagrams or schematics.
- Ability to write simple sentences containing subject, verb, and object, and series of numbers.
- Ability to perform the four arithmetic operations with like common and decimal fractions.
- Ability to apply commonsense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagrammatic form. Deal with problems involving several concrete variables in or from standardized situations.
- Ability to perform fairly repetitive duties and tasks according to set procedures, interacting with people only when it is routine.
- Commitment to teamwork.
Education and Experience:
High School diploma with plus six months related experience.
This job has a strength rating of medium physical work – exerting 20-50 pounds of force occasionally, 10-25 pounds of force frequently and/or up to 10 pounds of force constantly to move objects. Frequent balancing, stooping, kneeling, crouching, crawling, handling, fingering, feeling, talking, depth perception and use of field of vision are required. Frequent exposure to oils and solvents; working in high, exposed places and atmospheric conditions with occasional exposure to weather, vibration, proximity to mechanical moving parts, and electrical shock.
Steel toe boots and use of personal protective equipment is a requirement of this position.
The above information is intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees within this classification. It is not intended to be construed as a comprehensive list of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications of employees so classified.